Tuesday 11 December 2012

A first dose of the white stuff...

A fairly quiet week on the running front due to a weekend in Paris and various Christmas parties, but I award bonus points to myself for running to work last week in minus 2 degrees and SNOW. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come as it would be just my luck to get an abnormally snowy winter!

I've definitely decided that running home then back to work the next morning is the way forward, easy logistically and a good way to get in 16.5km without really noticing.  My only issue now is with my poor old iPod shuffle which is dying a long, slow death.  It's had a good 5 year life with plenty of km's and a lot of sweat absorbed, I think this could be a factor in its passing.  Odd though that the way it has died is that the music sounds distorted, like a stretched cassette tape - an effect I wouldn't have thought that you could get from a hi-tech digital flash drive!

Gearing up for this weekend's "Fitness Retreat".
http://www.hillmotts.co.uk/UK-Wide-Bootcamps/About-Us.aspx

I have NO idea what to expect but am very much hoping for zero rain or snow as I think most of it is outside. Hopefully they can push me hard enough as it should be a good kick start for the dreaded official 16 week training program which starts straight after Christmas.

Training report
Monday 3rd December
8.3km run home from work - quite uneventful although a work colleague did report that she was on a bus driving at a similar speed to me for about 20 minutes. Good to know I can run faster than the 137 in London traffic.

Wednesday 5th December
8.3km run into work - SNOW! Argh.  Just frosty when I left the house but 2 minutes later it was big old fat snow.  20 mins of that was actually ok as it doesn't soak through, it was when it turned into freezing rain/sleet closer to central London that things got really nasty.  Not fun.

Monday 10th December
8.3km run home from work - huge helicopters hovering over the Thames with giant spotlights so was trying to see what they were looking at.  Only my second run over about 5k run in my new shoes, they definitely make my calves tight and feel less stable for the ankle. I think I need to look at tightening the laces.

Tuesday 11th December
8.3km run into work - despite another full charge for the iPod it's just distorted cassette tape music. It's definitely gone.  Running on frosty ground was a bit slippery but was nice and sunny this morning so at least I could see where I was going.

Coming up next
Wednesday 12th December
Gym session - maybe some spin?

Friday - Sunday 13th - 15th December
Three days of bootcamp pain - and a massage booked for Monday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment