Wednesday 14 November 2012

A Running Commute

Iceland was fascinating.  Amazingly, as well as the spectacular Northern Lights, we also spotted the Reykjavik running club doing sprints down the side of a freezing lake in -2 degree temperatures, with 65km/hr winds howling off the water directly onto their bare legs.  I didn't join in.  I think the best form of exercise there would be aquaerobics in the 35 degree Blue Lagoon.

I've solved the thorny issue of keeping warm for my running commute to work. I freeze if I don't wear my winter coat on the tube, but it's too big and heavy to fit into my backpack for the return running journey.  So I ran home and then back in the next morning, leaving my coat at work.  Added bonus of a nice hot shower in the brand new hotel locker rooms with nice fluffy hotel towels provided and washed by the Valet - more luxurious than showering at home, really!  And I didn't have to get up any earlier than I would to get to work on the tube. Problem solved.

Plus there's sunlight running in the mornings so you don't spend the whole route staring at the ground in the dark, to avoid slipping on the wet autumn leaves covering the typically wonky London footpaths. More time to admire the scenery - Sloane Square, the red brick Chelsea mansion blocks, the Thames and Battersea Power Station, and the lovely Clapham and Wandsworth Commons.

Training report
Monday 12th Nov
8.3k run home from work - several near misses involving darkness, puddles, wet leaves, and a group of screaming schoolgirls scaring each other (and me and some cyclists) in the bushes in the Common.

Tuesday 13th Nov
8.3km run into work - was definitely one of my faster ones as I'd realised I'd left it too late to get to my 9am meeting (arrived red-faced at 9.05).  Sadly my Garmin went haywire and apparently I ran from Wimbledon, through the water of the Thames, and over some buildings in Chelsea, all at 3 min/km pace!  It took me about 42 mins though so would have been about 5.15 min/km pace, quite fast for me.

Coming up next
Thursday 15th Nov
Gym - maybe a spin class or just some treadmill

Friday 16th Nov
Gym - treadmill and some resistance stuff

Saturday 17th Nov
1 hour Pilates
13km run

No comments:

Post a Comment