Tuesday 5 February 2013

11 weeks to go...

It's only really this week that things have stepped up a notch where I've really had to work hard to be organised and plan ahead to fit things in.   It's easy to fit in a gym session or a 45 min run before or after work but when you have to squeeze in 13km as well as having to be at work for 8am and probably not finishing til 7pm, things are getting harder!

Despite the best laid plans (and carrying my shoes all over the country with me) I didn't run in Cuba.   Running in the cities was definitely not an option due to the risk of getting lost, the state of the roads, let alone the heat and knowing where on earth to run to.  The beaches would have been an option but the water and the pina coladas were much more enticing!  Linc did see someone roller-blading down the left lane of a four lane highway, so maybe I just needed to be more creative with my excercise methods.  Anyway, we walked for miles most days we were there, so surprisingly, my runs last week which I were expecting to be tough, were fine.

I picked up a pair of shoes yesterday which I have for a week's trial, they are Brooks PureConnect and are lightweight type ones part of the craze for barefoot running I guess.

Training report

Thursday 17th January
8.2k threshold run home from work. Did it in about 4-5 mins faster than I usually would.  Was tough though breathing in such cold air - is it possible to get an oesophagus injury?

Friday 18th January
8.2k run into work.  The snow was predicted to start early so it was convenient that I had to get up early to give Linc his 30th bday pressies! Managed to make it in about 10 minutes before the heavy snow started.

30th, 31st and 1st
3 x 8.2k runs to and from work.  Not too hard after Cuba, surprisingly.  Really, really windy, though! Which made certain sections like the river part, very hard. 

Sunday 3rd February
13.7k run, along the river and through Battersea Park and Clapham Common.  Quite a nice day but again very windy, running along Clapham Common I felt like I was going nowhere fast! There are SO many people out and about running, all training for the marathon I think, it's really noticable how many more people there are than usual.

Monday 4th Feburary
50 minute gym session.  With the new Brooks shoes, hard to tell what they are like just on a treadmill but they seem really comfy and quite cushiony.  15 mins treadmill, 15 mins elliptical, 10 mins bike, 5 mins step.

Coming up next

Tuesday 5th February
30 min hill session - on a treadmill as London is so flat!

Wednesday 6th February
13k intervals

Friday 8th February
8k easy

Saturday 9th February
16k...longest run for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment